HVAC Maintenance Tips for Your New York Home
HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning) systems are an important part of many residential buildings, including your home. Because it performs a wide variety of tasks to keep your home comfortable, you’ll want to make sure it’s constantly in good shape. Failure to keep your HVAC well-maintained can result in increased electrical bills, sweltering summers, and frigid winters. At Roy’s, we believe in preventative maintenance as the best way to keep your systems in working order.
Benefits of Regular HVAC Maintenance
- Longer lifespan for your heating and cooling system
- Increased efficiency
- Better indoor air quality
- Lower energy bills
- Consistent home comfort all year
Here are four tips that can help you extend your HVAC’s lifespan and keep it running strong.
- Inspect the air filters once a month. Check and change the filters in your AC, furnace, and/or heat pump often. A dirty filter means your equipment has to work harder to get the same results, increasing your energy bills and putting unnecessary strain on your equipment.
- Keep the HVAC unit and the area around it clean. You’ll want to regularly clean out any plants and other debris around you condensing unit. In addition, you should take time once a year to clean your vents, registers, evaporator, and condenser coils to keep air circulating efficiently. The U.S. Department of Energy says that “a dirty condenser coil can increase energy consumption by 30%.”
- Install a programmable thermostat. Programmable thermostats allow you to dictate certain times for the temperature to change, allowing you to turn off the heat when no one’s home or you’re sleeping. Careful usage of the programmable thermostat can reduce your energy costs by 10%.
- Do maintenance before the seasons you’ll start using its heating and/or cooling. Whether your HVAC heats, cools, or does both, you’ll want to have preventative maintenance done a season before you’ll really be using it. Is your HVAC primarily used for heating? Schedule maintenance for the fall. Do you use your HVAC to just keep things cool? Add HVAC maintenance to your spring cleaning list. If your HVAC pulls double duty, give it maintenance in both spring and fall.
Why is Roy’s a trusted name in Buffalo area HVAC maintenance?
Roy’s Plumbing, Heating & Cooling has provided the New York area with over 45 years of excellence. Our staff is available around the clock to send someone over to help you with any emergency. No matter the task, our highly-trained professionals work to ensure you’re 100% satisfied with their performance. If you need help with your HVAC system, call up Roy’s today!