716-218-1106Schedule

All Articles

What Are the Energy Savings With LED Lights?

Installing LED lights in your home can cut your electricity bill by up to $225 a year.

Thinking it’s time to upgrade to LED lighting? If so, you understandably want to know how much these lights can save you long-term.

One of the core reasons people switch to LED lights is because the lights consume very little power compared to incandescent bulbs. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, LED lights use at least 75% less energy than incandescent lighting. This energy efficiency results in $225 of energy savings each year.

Although LED lights come with a higher price tag, the long-term energy savings they provide often pay for the lights' cost—and then some. If you’re looking to make your home more energy-efficient and eco-friendly, installing LED lights is one of the easiest improvements you can make.

Now that you know how much you can save with LED lights, we’ll explain:

Let’s start by looking at why LED lights are more energy efficient than incandescent bulbs.

Want To Switch to LED Lighting Fixtures?

Call Roy’s PowerWorx today at 716-218-1106. Our lighting experts can give you an upfront price estimate and help you calculate your long-term energy savings based on the LED lighting fixtures you choose.

Why LED Lights Are More Energy Efficient

Incandescent lights can waste up to 90% of their total energy consumption.

The reason for LED bulbs using less energy than incandescent bulbs is that they produce light differently.

If you’ve ever looked inside an incandescent bulb, you may have noticed tiny filaments near the center of the bulb. An incandescent bulb essentially heats these filaments to a scorching temperature, which causes them to glow and produce light.

However, heating these filaments is highly inefficient. Only 10% of the total energy consumed by an incandescent bulb converts to light; the other 90% is heat waste.

Unlike incandescent lights, LED lights do not use filaments. Instead, LEDs produce light by passing electricity through a semiconductor. As the electrical current traverses different parts of the semiconductor, electrons in the current release light particles (i.e., photons).

The LED lighting process does not rely on heat to create light, making these lights much more energy-efficient than incandescent bulbs. As a result, LED lights are less expensive to operate, leading to more significant long-term energy savings.

Other Benefits of LED Lights

Besides their high energy efficiency, LED lights also offer the following benefits over incandescent lights:

Longer Lifespan

High-quality LED lights can last anywhere from 30,000 to 50,000 hours. This life expectancy is much longer than the lifespan of incandescent lamps, which only last around 1,000 hours on average.

Improved Safety

Incandescent lights can be incredibly hot to the touch because of the heat they produce. Plus, being made from fragile glass, it's easy to break an incandescent light if mishandled.

On the other hand, LEDs produce very little heat and are generally more durable, making them the safer lighting option—especially if you have children in your household.

Ideal for Cold Temperatures

Unlike other types of lighting, LEDs work exceptionally well in cold temperatures, making them ideal for indoor and outdoor lighting solutions in cold climates, like here in Buffalo, NY.

Contact Roy’s PowerWorx to learn more about installing our various types of LED lighting and lighting fixtures.

Interested in Switching to LED Lights? Call Roy’s PowerWorx Today.

Call us at 716-218-1106 or contact us online today for same-day conversion. Our licensed and experienced electricians can provide you with an honest estimate on the cost of installing LED lights and fixtures in your home and learn about our 1-year labor warranty.

When working with Roy’s PowerWorx, you can count on reliable and worry-free electrical work. Visit our electrical service overview page for more information about our LED interior light conversion service.