Carbon monoxide dangers

Every year, thousands of people suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning. It is essential to keep your family safe this winter by watching out for CO poisoning symptoms and taking the necessary steps to ensure your home is free of potentially deadly gas. This blog will discuss why carbon monoxide is dangerous and what you can do to prevent an accident.

What Is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless and odorless gas created when certain fuels burn. Familiar sources of CO in the home include faulty furnaces, water heaters, stoves, and fireplaces. These appliances can release toxic levels of CO into the air and can lead to severe health complications or even death.

In other words, any appliance or object that burns fuel has the potential to produce CO if not used properly. Therefore, it’s crucial for homeowners to regularly inspect their fuel-burning appliances and in the case of your heating system, have it serviced by a professional technician at least once a year.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, nausea, dizziness, confusion, fatigue and unexplained exhaustion, and flu-like symptoms (without a fever). If you or anyone else in your household experiences any combination of these symptoms indoors at home or in a closed environment such as a garage or shed with an engine running, these could indicate high levels of carbon monoxide; seek medical attention immediately.

Preventative Measures for Carbon Monoxide Safety

The best way to protect your family from CO exposure is to have your heating system checked annually by a professional technician who can identify potential safety risks and repair them before they become hazardous. Investing in a quality carbon monoxide detector can also be lifesaving; make sure you install one on each level of your home to be alerted if dangerous levels are present. Lastly, never use fuel-burning appliances, such as generators, inside an enclosed space—they should always be used outdoors, away from windows and doors, to allow fresh air circulation.

While carbon monoxide is invisible and odorless, it’s still a real threat during winter. Just Call Roy’s at 716-218-1106 to have our expert HVAC technician perform a heating tune-up and safety inspection in your home. Just Call Roy’s Today, and we’ll take the worry away.

Scroll to Top