While an exciting and overwhelming experience, you’ll want to make sure that you have all the tips and tricks to keep your home safe, comfortable, and running smoothly. Here are five essential tips from our experts at Roy’s for plumbing, HVAC, and electrical services:
- Understanding your HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) system is crucial for ensuring that it operates efficiently and effectively over the long term. As a homeowner, it’s important to know the age and type of your AC system, whether it’s a central air system, a mini-split system, or a heat pump. Each of these types of systems has different needs and requirements for maintenance, so it’s important to know which one you have.
Additionally, it’s important to know when your HVAC system’s warranty expires. This will help you determine whether you need to invest in a maintenance plan or replacement parts to keep your system running smoothly. If your warranty has already expired, you may need to consider proactive maintenance to avoid costly repairs down the line.
- Maintaining the landscape around your AC unit is important for ensuring that it operates at maximum efficiency. Keeping trees at least three feet away from the unit is essential as it helps to prevent obstruction of the airflow to and from your AC system. Airflow is imperative for the proper functioning of your system, which means that every part of your unit, from the vents to the ducts, requires unobstructed airflow.
In addition to maintaining clearance around the unit, trimming shrubs and other vegetation around the AC system can help prevent dust particles from being trapped in their leaves. Leaves, dirt, and other debris that find their way into the coils and fins of your unit can lead to a drop in performance and may even cause the unit to overheat. Proper ventilation is necessary for your AC system to efficiently transfer heat or cold temperatures from inside your home to the outside air.
- Make sure to schedule annual maintenance on your heating and cooling system with a trusted Roy’s technician who can inspect it thoroughly before any issues arise. Opting for spring (AC) or fall (heat) when temperatures are lower than average can be especially helpful in saving money over time due to energy costs associated with extra cold/hot seasons.
- Check for duct leaks as these could cause uneven temperatures in certain rooms due to conditioned air leaking into spaces like between walls before being sent where you need it like a desired room! A professional inspection from certified technicians such as those from Roy’s can efficiently identify this issue so it can be resolved quickly.
- Ensuring that vents in each room are not blocked by furniture is key to optimizing the airflow in your home, which can result in lower energy costs. When vents are blocked, air struggles to pass through, and the overall function of your AC system is compromised. Additionally, blocked vents can cause certain areas of your home to become overly hot or cold, leading to uncomfortable temperature zones. Allow vents to remain open and keep the location of the vents in mind when furnishing.
Being a new homeowner is a big step in life and we at Roy’s are here to help! With these five essential tips, you can be assured that your home will be safe, comfortable, and running smoothly. We offer plumbing, heating, cooling, and electrical services that will help ensure your Buffalo area home is in the best shape possible. Give us a call at 716-218-1106. We look forward to serving you and helping you make your home ownership dreams come true!